Mattis confirms 'no decision' yet on Iran deal
Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on 26 April said no decision had been made on whether the United States is going to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal.
President Donald Trump is due on May 12 to announce his decision about whether America will stay in the historic pact, as US and European diplomats work on a supplemental deal to address his concerns.
‘I can assure you there has been no decision made on any withdrawal from JCPOA,’ Mattis said of the deal, which is officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
‘The discussions are ongoing in the national security staff and those of us who are charged with that responsibility of giving the president advice. It's going on today as we speak,’ Mattis told the Senate Armed Services Committee.
Though he thinks the deal is flawed, Mattis has previously said he supports America staying in it, telling lawmakers in October it is in the US national interest to do so.
But Mattis offered no such support on 26 April.
‘There are obviously aspects of the JCPOA... that can be improved on. We are working with our European allies on it at this time, and again at this time the decision has not been made whether we can repair it enough to stay, or if the president if going to decide to withdraw from it,’ he said.
Trump, who campaigned on scrapping the Iran deal, has branded it as ‘insane’ and the ‘worst’ in history.
‘This is a deal with decayed foundations. It's a bad deal, it's a bad structure. It's falling down,’ Trump said on 24 April.
‘We are going to see what happens on the 12th.’
More from Defence Notes
-
UK Chancellor commits £2 billion to make the country a “defence industrial superpower”
Rachel Reeves announced port upgrades, protected budgets for innovation and investment in novel technologies.
-
Launch of Gilat Defense targets DoD market
The communications company Gilat launched its new Gilat Defense division at the Satellite 2025 expo, with future solutions aimed at US military customers.
-
Collins MAPS Gen II to equip US DoD watercraft
US services have already conducted multiple tests with military maritime systems fitted with the system.
-
OCCAR expects substantial boost in programme numbers “in the coming months”
Europe’s Organisation for Joint Armament Cooperation (OCCAR) “has to establish itself…as a centre of excellence for cooperative Defence Equipment Programmes” in the face of growing threats and the need for rearmament, according to the organisation’s chairman.
-
MBDA CEO emphasises “moment of truth” for Europe as company sees €37 billion backlog
MBDA CEO Éric Béranger stressed the company’s role supporting European countries with complex weapon systems and focused on boosting production against the backdrop of “shifting” geopolitical alliances.