Japan finds parts of crashed F-35 fighter jet
Japan said on 7 May that it had recovered some debris from a stealth fighter jet that crashed in April, but was still looking for the ‘all-important’ memory that could offer clues into the accident.
Nearly a month after the high-tech F-35A plummeted into the sea off the coast of northeastern Japan, neither the pilot's body, nor the plane's fuselage have been found, said Defence Minister Takeshi Iwaya.
Experts say Japan and the US are keen to prevent debris from the plane being recovered by Russia or China, with Iwaya admitting last month there were ‘a significant amount of secrets that need to be protected’ on board.
Some debris, including a part of the flight data recorder, were recovered ‘on or after May 3’, Iwaya said, adding: ‘The Defence Ministry is studying (the parts), but at this point, the all-important memory (of the flight data recorder) has not been recovered.’
The fighter jet went missing on 9 April while flying 135km (85 miles) east of Misawa, northeastern Japan, on a training mission. The plane lost contact about 30 minutes after taking off from Misawa Air Base with three other aircraft.
It was the first reported case of a crash by an F-35A, according to the Japan Air Self-Defense Force.
Japanese and US search crews have already found the jet's tail.
US and Japanese troops have used data from a Japanese seabed research ship along with a US-chartered special ‘diving support’ vessel for deep-sea operations to pull up the newly discovered parts, Iwaya said.
Japan is deploying F-35As, each of which costs more than ¥10 billion ($90 million), to replace its ageing F-4 fighters.
They are a key part of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's efforts to upgrade the nation's military capacity to meet changing power dynamics in East Asia, with China rapidly modernising its military.
More from Defence Notes
-
Avalon 2025: Australian defence budget meets the low expectations of show attendees
The Australian Budget was marked by tax cuts and a looming general election which led to little hope that there would be a substantial defence boost even with a big bill for nuclear submarines due.
-
Launch of Gilat Defense targets DoD market
The communications company Gilat launched its new Gilat Defense division at the Satellite 2025 expo, with future solutions aimed at US military customers.
-
Collins MAPS Gen II to equip US DoD watercraft
US services have already conducted multiple tests with military maritime systems fitted with the system.
-
OCCAR expects substantial boost in programme numbers “in the coming months”
Europe’s Organisation for Joint Armament Cooperation (OCCAR) “has to establish itself…as a centre of excellence for cooperative Defence Equipment Programmes” in the face of growing threats and the need for rearmament, according to the organisation’s chairman.
-
MBDA CEO emphasises “moment of truth” for Europe as company sees €37 billion backlog
MBDA CEO Éric Béranger stressed the company’s role supporting European countries with complex weapon systems and focused on boosting production against the backdrop of “shifting” geopolitical alliances.